Wednesday, May 2, 2018

That Wintry Scene

                                                                        Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                                        everyday is a journey.





A mighty fortress is our God,
A bulwark never failing:
Our helper he amid the flood
Of mortal ills prevailing.
For still our ancient foe
Doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and power are great:
And, armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal.
--Martin Luther.

I would look forward to the Winter Season. I know, I know, it's difficult to believe, but it's true. I always thought of that time as a way to unwind, relax and reflect on the past year as we go forward into the new. Winter is usually spent more inside than outside. There are those people who love the cold weather and go skiing, enjoying all the Winter sports. 

I had this image in my mind that I would retire around November and spend the Winter Season in solitude. I would sit in front of a wood stove or in front of a window, enjoying the falling snow scene as I typed away writing. That would be my perfect scene that played over and over in my mind for years. 

Unfortunately, all that changed this year. For a very long time, we have had mild Winters, except this one. It snowed and snowed. There was ice and sleet and more snow. It was cold and blistery. I ended up getting stuck just trying to get into or out of my parking spot. It has kept snowing when we least expect it even in Spring!

I truly had my Winter this year. Yet, the weather wasn't my biggest problem. It was my arthritis and charley horses. Lord, I was in agony every single night. I tried remedy after remedy, because I knew there was no way I could live like this. The cold Season was definitely not my friend.

One thing for sure, I realized that the dream I had of what my retirement would look like had to change. I needed to go to a place that provided dry heat. That Wintry scene would stay just in my mind. Living in it was definitely out. Sometimes, our dreams have to change to fit our ever changing lifestyle and that's okay. It's part of life here on Earth. I have a great imagination and I can go back to it anytime I want to revisit. 

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...