Saturday, April 29, 2017

The White Trash

                                                                    Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey
 


If on our daily course our mind
  Be set to hallow all we find,
  New treasures still, of countless price,
  God will provide for sacrifice.
J. KEBLE


Not too long ago, I had a very disturbing conversation with someone. You know the kind I mean where it leaves you speechless, unable to respond. It was based on where people live. This individual pointed out to me all the areas around us that he considered bad, with all those foreigners and just plain white trash.

Let me tell you that I was left speechless. This person lives in a very affluent suburb in a very luxurious home. I guess in his eyes, anyone not doing the same are poor and trashy.

As I drove home from work that night, I went through the usual route. The same streets. The same shops. The same apartment buildings. As I neared my complex, I saw an older man park his vehicle in front of an apartment and walked towards the front door. Now, if you've ever had feet problems, you can always tell a fellow victim to aching feet by how they walk. This man had a rough day at work, probably working for a lot less money than what he deserved. His feet ached and most likely the rest of his body too. He couldn't wait to get inside and go to sleep. So you are telling me that this tired man is white trash? 

What upset me more was my slowness to act. In my youth, I would have pounced on this individual straight for the throat without even thinking. My words would have hurt as intended. So why couldn't I do that now? Back then I would have responded with anger. Now, despair filled my heart. How in the world will we ever learn to love, respect and work together if we can't even live side by side without judgment and condemnation? 

The walls of materialism separate us. He who has plenty will always look down on he who has less. And that is the honest truth. Who is he to call anyone white trash?

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. John 8:7

What a great verse to live by. Words hurt. Judgments hurt. Actions hurt. Kindness doesn't. Respect doesn't. 

Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...